[evlatests] X-Band birdies

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Thu Jul 13 22:55:07 EDT 2006

    With the last few minutes of Ken's software time, we tested the
presence of the two birdies discovered a week or so ago:  8192, and
'8797' (where the quotes mean that it is detedted near 8797, but is not
actually due to a radiating source at that frequency).    Center
frequencies used were 8192 and 8790 MHz.

    Since last week, the T304s for 13A and 18A have had absorbing
material placed within them, in the hope that this would reduce the
problem to a more manageable level.

    The quick results are encouraging.

    We observed in mode 2AC, with a BW of 25 MHz, giving a (rather
coarse) resolution of  1.56 MHz.

    Auto-correlation (total power) spectra were utilized, as the fringe
rate at X-band in B-config is pretty fast, and causes significant fringe
winding loss on the cross-power spectra.

    A)  8192 MHz

    The birdie is not seen on 13A, 13C, or 18A.  It is seen weakly on
14A and 18C, and much more strongly on all the others:  14C, 16A, 16C,
24A and 24C.

    B)  '8797' MHz

    The birdie is absent on 13A, 14A, 16C, 18A, and 24A.  It is weakly
seen on 14C, 16C, and 24C,  is quite strong on 13C, and is
overwhelmingly strong on 18C.

    We need to look more carefully with higher resolution.  Perhaps on
Friday during the Dynamic time scheduled between 7 and 8 h, LST?