[evlatests] T1 VLA/AOC Failure Saturday

Pat Van Buskirk pvanbusk at nrao.edu
Sun Jul 9 19:57:55 EDT 2006

There was a T1 line failure between the AOC and VLA Saturday at
approximately 5:40 pm due a washout on Highway 60. It was restored
Sunday around noon. Here's what survived and what didn't relative to EVLA.

On the Array Operator Screen, we lost the time and weather indicators;
time recovered, but weather is still not displaying. We were also unable
to submit an EVLA pointing script and the device browser was not
working. The device browser may be a red herring due to simultaneous
problems with antenna 24 which was the display at the time. Currently,
the device browser cannot connect to dataset 0.

Dynamic scheduling would not run, giving java errors. The schedule queue
was still active; however, the accept process catalogued an empty file,
with a single EOF card.

The Mainsaver database is at the AOC, so we were unable to write
maintenance forms during the outage.

The monitor and parameters database, along with the Oracle software, are
totally isolated to the site and stayed active. Monitor data were not
affected and appear to be intact. We were able to control the EVLA antennas.

VLA mail was down, so the operators could not receive alerts fired from
the AOC.

The operators on duty did an excellent job of handling the outage and
associated problems. We should all thank them for their conscientious work.

Cheers,
Pat

--
Discontent is the first necessity of progress.

Thomas A. Edison (1847-1931, American inventor, founder of GE)