[evlatests] Weekend EVLA data

Rick Perley rperley at aoc.nrao.edu
Mon Feb 27 11:22:05 EST 2006

    Although the system performance was very good on Thursday night,
things have
'gone to pot' since then.  The L-band and X-band data I took over the
weekend show
the EVLA antennas -- particularly antenna 16 -- to be working poorly.

    In baselines with the VLA:
       Antenna 13 has near normal amplitudes
      Antenna 14 has about 1/2 normal amplitude
       Antenna 16 has about 1/10 normal amplitudes.

    But, between the EVLA antennas themselves:
          14 x 16 is normal
          13 x 16 is about 1/2 amplitude
          13 x 14 is about 1/4 amplitude.

    As a whole, we get enormous amplitude closure errors when antenna-based
solutions are sought -- particularly for antenna 16.

    These characteristics are the same at both bands tested.