[evlatests] ACU modifications

Bob Broilo bbroilo at aoc.nrao.edu
Fri Feb 10 09:36:30 EST 2006

Bryan,

> is there any _real_ plan for this to happen?  we've been hearing
> about it for some time, and i'm just curious what the timescale is
> to expect a new ACU to be in place...

Yes, but this project has a low priority compared to many other
projects that directly impact the EVLA schedule (antenna and new
correlator HVAC and electrical power distribution), VLBA reliability,
personnel safety (arc flash survey, high-voltage power distribution
and fire alarm systems), and day-to-day maintenance that keep the data
flowing.

The VLA ACU has been working for decades and continues to function and
provide data with very little downtime.  The ACU is transparent to our
customers (astronomers) and there is only a small performance gain
possible with a new ACU due to the limitations of the VLA antenna
structure.  There is no funding for a new ACU other than a small
amount of prototyping money from EVLA.

However, this project's priority will increase as time passes as parts
become scarcer and failures start to occur.  This means that this
project is inescapable, it must be completed eventually, and sooner is
better than later.  Also, this project is one that I am very excited
about and motivated by.  Any good excuse to step up the priority or
any pressure to complete this new ACU is very welcome.

Bob.