[evlatests] 180/90 degree phase jumps in holography

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Thu Aug 24 17:20:51 EDT 2006

    Another experiment was run today to close in on the 180 degree (and
90 degree, as you'll soon read) holography phase jumps.

    Because we had, in recent experiments, only seen the 180 degree
jumps at 1275 MHz, and never at 1485 MHz, I set up the experiment to
repeat this pair of frequencies, with AC at 1275, and BD at 1485 MHz,
then with these IF assignments reversed.
    And because we had a faint memory of 90 degree phase jumps being
seen with a frequency of 1706 MHz, two other frequency pairs were also
observed:  1275/1706, and 1485/1706 (AC/BD).

    Data were taken in up-and-down holography, 11 points all within the
main beam.  Six scans, each of two minutes duration, we made at each of
the four frequency pairs.  Standard calibration was done at the
beginning, in the middle, and at the end of each of the four groups.
Data were dumped at 0.41 seconds.  Because I feared RFI at some of these
frequencies, the BW was reduced to 6.25 MHz.  THIS IS A CRITICAL
PARAMETER, as explained below.

    The data, for all frequencies, and all combinations in all IFs, were
filled with 90 degree phase changes.  Exactly 90 degrees.   Also seen
were numerous `10-second' phase changes.  Either Barry's fix wasn't
applied, or it didn't fix the problem at hand.

    As always, all of the 180 and 90 degree phase changes occured
exactly simultaneously for all EVLA antennas, on all IFs.  The
'10-second' changes were not seen in all cases on all of the EVLA
antennas.

    This interesting behavior encouraged me to review all of my past
holography tests.  One very clear correlation was found from this:

    90-degree phase changes are *only* seen at L-band with a bandwidth
of 6.25 MHz.
    180-degree phase changes are *only* seen at L-band with a bandwidth
of 12.5 MHz
    No phase jumps of this type are seen with a bandwidth of 25 MHz.
    No statement can be made concerning a bandwidth of 50 MHz -- I've
not taken data with this BW at L-band.
    The only data taken at X-band was with 50 MHz.  No phase jumps of
this type were seen.

    There are no exceptions to the rules stated above.  There is no
frequency dependence for these rules.

    Because these big phase jumps are only seen on the EVLA antennas,
and always on all of them at once, the question of whether the problem
is with the EVLA or VLA remains open.

    But there's more!

    A quick perusal of the phase plots encourages a conclusion that
there is no predictability to when a phase jumps occurs.  But a more
careful persual shows clearly that the pattern of changes is not
random.  Some observations for the pundits to consider:

    1)  All calibrator phases repeat correctly.

    2) The phase jumps one second *before* the end of each calibrator
scan, to the value seen in the first holography point.  But -- in each
case, the end of the calibrator scan is one second after a 'ten-second
tick'.

    3) The 180 or 90 degree phase jumps are clearly *associated* with
the holographic scans, but the jumps seen only occur with 20 seconds
after the start, and within 10 seconds of the end of each holographic
scan.

    4) The pattern is always the same at the beginning of a hologrphic
scan:  the first 10-second point is at one phase, the next shows the
'ten-second' jump, and the third point at a third phase, which may or
may not be 90 or 180 degrees away from the first point.  The next 8
points are always at the same phase.  The last point (or the 11-point
scan) is always at a phase different by 90 or 180 degrees.

    5) Exception to the above rule:  When a holographic scan is followed
by a calibrator, the phase jump at the 11th point does not happen -- the
phase is the same as the 3rd to 10th point.  The phase, however, does
jump to the preceding calibrator phase, if that is different than the
holographic scan phase.

    6) When the 180 or 90 degree phase jumps occur, they are always 2 or
3 seconds after a ten-second tick.

    7) And finally:  All four frequency pairs used the same holography
pattern -- 6 scans, each of 11 points.  And the phase jump behavior of
each was identical!  To clarify -- the relative times of the jumps are
all the same.  Whether the jump was +90, - 90, or 180 may not be the same.