[evlatests] Better T304 attenuator settings

Walter Brisken wbrisken at aoc.nrao.edu
Fri Apr 28 19:41:28 EDT 2006

I wrote a program that sweeps the T304 attenuators.  First the RF
attenuator is held fixed at 5 dB while the Ch1 output attenuator is swept
over full range.  Then the reverse occurs.  During this time I monitor
power as seen by the deformatter.  It turns out that for low values of the
swept attenuator the curves for the two attenuators match quite well.  At
high attenuation values they do not.  From the various measurements I
conclude that the mixing portion of the T304 adds an RMS noise of 4 to 12
(expressed in units of < (sampler value)^2 >).  For comparison, in setting
the attenuators we have been aiming for 64 on this scale.  The RMS noise
added in the T304 is attenuated by the output attenuator.  Thus for output
attenuator settings of 10dB or more this added noise is insignificant.
However, several of the output attenuator settings in the parameter
database have been low enough for substantial T304-induced noise to get
digitized.  I have derived a new set of attenuator values that I plan to
test either this weekend if possible (in an EVLA-only subarray) or next
week.  The values have not yet been applied to the database.

It is hoped that the new attenuator values will result in better overall
sensitivity, by perhaps as much as 15 or 20% in extreme cases.

-Walter