[evlatests] Instr. pol test Thurs night (4/6)

George Moellenbrock gmoellen at aoc.nrao.edu
Fri Apr 7 17:49:27 EDT 2006

I had another L-band instr. pol test last night.  Nominally 3 hours
(LST=0500-0800), the first 1:40 minutes totally lost to high winds. About
80 minutes of decent data.  I am in mode PA (IFs A & C only, 4
correlations), 12.5 MHz bandwidth (15 chans), 20 different tunings to
cover 250 MHz from 1300-1550 MHz.  Observed 3C84 for good narrow-bandwidth
SNR, and 3C286 to attempt an on-the-sky R-L phase registration among
tunings.

Looks the the EVLA ants took a few extra minutes to get going after the
wind stopped.

ON BASELINES TO ANT 8 (W16):

1.  13, 14, 16 had parallel-hand amps (AA, CC) and SNR indistinguishable
from VLA baselines, EXCEPT 14 was dead (flagged online) in LCP until the
last 25 minutes, and dead in RCP (unflagged) for 40 minutes in the middle.
Both pols came back on at the same time, @ 7:45pm local time.  This is
after the tinkering Jim reported via email last night; maybe he did some
more after that?   Sorry, no info for IFs B & D, which seem to be
frustrating Rick and Barry more today on 13.

2.  13, 14, 16 all show significant ~half-cycle monotonic phase variation
across the 12.5 MHz bands.  This looks about as it alway does: most of the
change is in the low 25% of the band.  In the ~linear 75% of the band, the
delay is no worse than 20nsec, about 4X worse than typical of VLA
baselines.

3. 13 clearly has higher residual phase rate than the other EVLA antennas,
of order 1 mHz.  This rate differs sign and magnitude for the two sources,
as might be expected from a position error for this antenna.  14 and 16
also have rates a bit worse than is typical for VLA ants, but not as bad
as 13.

4. 13 didn't lock up for the setup centered at ~1419 MHz (!).  This is
just as it was a week ago in my last instr. pol run.  Something about
that frequency.  (I am using the nominal LO setups.)

-George