[evlatests] the ACU and Stowing

Steven Durand sdurand at aoc.nrao.edu
Fri Sep 9 18:20:44 EDT 2005

This is how I think this works.   The ACU MIB calculates the pointing
and is told to calculate the pointing for the next X minutes.   Even if
the network goes down the ACU MIB will continue to talk to the ACU and
point the antenna for the specified X minutes.  After the X minutes have
expired, the MIB stops talking to the ACU.  If the ACU is not receiving
pointing commands, the ACU will auto stow the antenna after a timeout.
The timeout is determined by an RC time constant and varies from antenna
to antenna but is usually between 5-20 minutes.

Ken said  “he had a mysterious experience last night …Approximately 40
minutes later, the antenna 14 stowed itself and corrected the elevation
limit”

My guess is the ACU MIB stopped talking  so the ACU stowed the antenna.