[evlatests] Spinning goes on!

Rick Perley rperley at aoc.nrao.edu
Thu Oct 27 17:33:11 EDT 2005

    Sadly, Walter's report that his data showed no spinning phases, or
amplitude drops are not reproduced in my data, which followed his
immediately.

    The observations were taken the same way as last Thursdays:
Alternating scans between 3C84 and 3C48, alternating between line
and continuum.  This time, both antenna 14 and 16 were working.

    The sequence may be important, so here it is:

    3C48 line
    3C48 continuum
    3C84 continuum
    3C84 line

    replicated over and over.  I spent 1 minute on 3C48, 15 minutes on
3C84.

    This summary is for the continuum data only.  The line report will
follow

    As was the case last week, no data from 3C48 showed spinning phases.

    Some scans of 3C84 showed spinning phases.  The pattern is complex, so
I've put it into a table, showing the spinning rates for each:

    Time (IAT)     Antenna 14      Antenna 16
    05:40                  -50 deg/sec      300 deg/sec
    06:20                  -30 deg/sec      215 deg/sec
    07:00                     0 deg/sec      180 deg/sec
    07:40                   25 deg/sec      144 deg/sec
    08:12                     0 deg/sec          0 deg/sec

    I thought I saw a pattern, until I saw the last scan has no spinning
phases at all ...

    Amplitude dropouts are seen throughout, with the usual 10 second
period.  Many of them are total -- 100% (to the noise) reduction.  A
more comprehensive summary will follow.

    I'll review the spectral line data next.

    Rick