[evlatests] Testing atten. levels

Walter Brisken wbrisken at aoc.nrao.edu
Wed Oct 19 16:18:00 EDT 2005

Today I ran some scripts using Barry's updated executer that gets
attenuator settings from the evlaparm database.  The results are best
described as "unsuccessful", but not necessarily due to the level setting
features themselves.  Maybe someone can figure out what went wrong.  In
all cases the deformatter RMS values are about 71 or so -- ie VERY high --
even higher than I was able to get when turning off all attenuation at X
band.  The value doesn't change upon band change or when the attenuators
are manually changed.  For reference I used the following example script
in my attempts.  I've only tested on ant 16 as Rick is on 14 now.  Will
try both antennas later today.

-W

# example script to test attenuator settings.
myband = LoIfSetup('22GHz')    # default continuum setup for K band
dummy = Source("16h42m58.81", "39d48'36.9")
print 'Setup for K band at',
tt = array.time()
td = int(tt)
th = int((tt-td)*24)
tm = int(((tt-td)*24-th)*60)
print td, th, tm

# test table mode attenuator setting
dcv=myband.getDownconverterAC()
dcv.setDownconverterAInputLevelControlMode(dcv.TABLE)
dcv.setDownconverterAOutput3LevelControlMode(dcv.TABLE)
dcv.setDownconverterCInputLevelControlMode(dcv.TABLE)
dcv.setDownconverterCOutput3LevelControlMode(dcv.TABLE)
dcv=myband.getDownconverterBD()
dcv.setDownconverterAInputLevelControlMode(dcv.TABLE)
dcv.setDownconverterAOutput3LevelControlMode(dcv.TABLE)
dcv.setDownconverterCInputLevelControlMode(dcv.TABLE)
dcv.setDownconverterCOutput3LevelControlMode(dcv.TABLE)

subarray.setLoIfSetup(myband)
subarray.setSource(dummy)
subarray.execute(array.time()+2/86400.)

array.wait(array.time()+6/86400.)