[evlatests] IMPORTANT MESSAGE Re: Antenna Coordination

Eugene Cole ecole at aoc.nrao.edu
Tue Oct 11 19:36:24 EDT 2005

TO ALL: PLEASE READ CAREFULLY BEFORE DELETING MESSAGE

There seems to be some confusion as to the status of antenna 13 and 18,
both EVLA antennas.  The two antennas are considered in overhaul.
Although the entire regular overhaul and the mechanical conversion to
EVLA are complete, the antennas are still considered in overhaul until
electronics outfitting is completed.

As with every overhaul antenna, the Overhaul Supervisor (OS) is
responsible for the antenna. The OS is Ramon Gutierrez or his designee.
When an antenna is in overhaul one should follow the overhaul schedule.
If the overhaul schedule is lacking or not up-to-date, one should advise
the OS or his designee of intent to visit the antenna. This simple
procedure has been in effect for many years.

One important aspect of the EVLA design is that an EVLA antenna sitting
on the master can be remotely operated from anywhere within the NRAO
intranet. In this instance, during overhaul the antenna will be under
lockout control until otherwise scheduled for activity.  The OS will
ensure this condition is met. Your part in this, mainly for your own
safety, is to make sure you follow the antenna lockout procedure more
diligently.

There will come a time when an EVLA antenna go into what is called its
"EVLA Test Phase."  The test phase of an EVLA antenna entails a
different procedural set as oppose to being in "overhaul."  During the
test phase, the antenna (in most instances) WILL NOT be locked out.  An
“EVLA Test Schedule” will be maintained.  To use or visit the antenna in
its test phase will require prior notification before using the
telescope for any activity.  For the time being, the person to notify is
Rob Long or in his absence me. Everyone must follow this procedure to
avoid any potential accident or possible damage to equipment.

An online function that will allow everyone to schedule time on the
antenna that is in its test phase is being developed.  You will be
informed of the availability of this function sometime within a month
from now.

If this message isn’t clear or you have questions, contact me.

Thanks,
-- Gene