[evlatests] Sampler histograms

Walter Brisken wbrisken at aoc.nrao.edu
Wed Nov 9 18:46:10 EST 2005

I have modified one of Mike Revnell's test programs to request a series of
data chunks from the evla deformatters (D351s).  From these data I've
created histograms showing the frequency of occurance of the various
sampler levels.  I took no real care to make sure attenuator levels were
set to be sane, but in all cases I got reasonable looking RMS values.

The resultant histograms are not nice smooth histograms but rather show
that level frequency alternates with bin, indicating that the least
significant bit (and to a much less severe level the second least
significant bit) seems biased.  In the case of IFs 16c and 16d the effect
is fairly strong: adjacent bins with ratios of nearly 2:1.  Similar
phenomena were seen as early as June 6, 2005, but this is the first time
I've systematicly looked at all the IFs.

I have two plots, source code, and this email message stored in my new
EVLA web repository :

http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~wbrisken/evla/

I'll keep things organized in directories named after the date of the
corresponding evlatests report.

-W