[evlatests] More details on phase winding from Dec 09, 2005 data

Ken Sowinski ksowinsk at aoc.nrao.edu
Wed Dec 14 15:40:27 EST 2005

> but 2 other problems were provoked.
>
> 1. The changeover to a new scan happens a few seconds before its
> expected time.

This is Bryan's end/beginning of scan problem which is not yet
fully resolved.  Anybody know whether the standard versio of
obs2script was used?

> 2. The L302s at one or both antennas seem to stop updating the fringe
> rotation, or get the frequency wrong. Sometimes they recover, sometimes
> not. At these times, the fringes on EVLA-to-VLA antennas disappear, but
> fringes at fairly high rate ("phase winds" in Rick Perley's terminology)
> are seen between 14-16.

The evidence is that all four L302s did the same thing at the
same time.  I can see three explanations, in no particular order:
1.  An executor SW error.
2.  A glitch in reference distribution to the antennas causes all
the L302s to go to standby mode.  In my limited experience, once
this happens it is not always easy to get the L302 back.  The party
line is that it will recover if given a tuning frequency different
enough from where it thinks it is.
3.  A SW problem in the MIB that is environment/data dependent.

Ken