[evlatests] Preliminary results for aug 25 tests

Mark Claussen mclausse at nrao.edu
Fri Aug 26 11:28:02 EDT 2005

I have taken a look at the data Ken took yesterday for the
purpose of estimating the sensitivity of the antennas.  I
will report here on some preliminary results, i.e. the results
for An 14 at X and C band.  Due to the birdies Ken mentioned
in An 16 in his report, I haven't as yet completed the analysis
for An 16.  At L band, there are resolution effects with 3C273
which lead to closure errors when assuming it is a point source
(there are probably these at the other bands as well, but this
is most pronounced at L).

I list here the ratio of rms noise (both phase and amplitude)
of An 14 to that of VLA antennas.  This gives some idea of
the sensitivity of An 14 as compared with a VLA antenna.  As
we have done in the past, this is computed over several (in
this case 90) spectral channels for one integration record
after flux and bandpass calibration.

                             X Band
         IF A          IF B          IF C         IF D

Amp      0.97          1.25          1.52         1.29
Phase    1.26          1.35          2.20         1.34

                             C Band

Amp      0.98          1.07          2.78         0.89
Phase    0.95          0.93          2.80         0.90

Something seems to be wrong with IF C, but otherwise these
numbers are pretty encouraging.  The X band results could
be explained by pointing ?

More to come later.

Mark