[Difx-users] Question of the loss in Int. time and the phase shift obtained from the correlations

Lupin Lin lupin at asiaa.sinica.edu.tw
Sun May 21 22:12:35 EDT 2017

Dear Adam,

Thanks for your repsonse to give the indication.
For the 1st question, I will further check with the expert of HOPS developer.

For my 2nd question, the Jan’s code is “m5subband” provided in the latest DiFX version to extract the specific frequency range information from a wide/full band data.
The original input is also the 2-bit VDIF file.
I just compare with "the cross-correlation with two 2-bit wide band VDIF files at a specific frequency range using the zoom-band mode" and "one data subtracted a the same frequency range to cross-correlate another wide band file supported with zoom-band mode.”
A simple expression in the .v2d file is the comparison between:
(XXXXX and OOOOO are data with 2 GHz, and SSSSS is a data with the band of 256 MHz subtracted from XXXXX)
————————————————————————
ANTENNA G1
{
   file = XXXXX.vdif
   format = VDIF/8224/2
   phaseCalInt = 0
   addZoomFreq= freq at 230000.00/bw at 256.0
}
ANTENNA G2
{
   file = OOOOO.vdif
   format = VDIF/8224/2
   phaseCalInt = 0
   addZoomFreq= freq at 230000.00/bw at 256.0
}
————————————————————————  And,
ANTENNA G1
{
   file = SSSSS.vdif
   format = VDIF/8224/2
   phaseCalInt = 0
}
ANTENNA G2
{
   file = OOOOO.vdif
   format = VDIF/8224/2
   phaseCalInt = 0
   addZoomFreq= freq at 230000.00/bw at 256.0
}

The loss in SNR or the amplitude is expected due to the re-sampling (FFT and IFFT for the original XXXXX.vdif) of the data, but we do not clearly understand the origin to cause the "possible shift" in the obtained phase distribution.
(We suspect the shift in phase is due to the adoption of the Ref. Freq., but the series of my tests cannot confirm this point.)

The motivation to do it is that we have limited/very slow internet speed in GLT.
In order to check the preliminary result via the obtained observation, we would like to send only the band reduced data with a much smaller file size.
So to investigate/handle the comparison between the aforementioned two cases is required for GLT team.

Sincerely,
--
Lupin Chun-Che Lin
Supporting Scientist of GLT (GreenLand Telescope) project