[Difx-users] Speedup Factor plot_logtime.py

Stuart Weston stuart.weston at aut.ac.nz
Thu Apr 27 18:37:12 EDT 2017

The simple one head -> many workers we have speedup factor:

Speedup = obs_time / corr_time

So say 4hrs observing is correlated in ~10.3 hrs, a speedup of 0.388.

Now in the scenario where we split the job between multiple heads, so head_1 does 0-2 hrs and head_2 does 2-4 hrs. How do we want to define the speedup here ?

Each will take slightly different times due to many external factors, but both are started at the same time (within fractions of a second)

So head_1 takes 5.1 hrs to correlate 2 hrs of observing, and head_2 takes 5.3 hrs for the other 2 hrs.

We have correlated the same 4hrs of data but in approx half the elapsed time. So would you be happy for me to define speedup now as:

Speedup = sum(obs_time_1, obs_time_2) / max(corr_time(head_1,head_2))

In this case it would be say 4/5.3 = 0.75. Now this doesn't work if the split is un-even for the obs_time between the two heads.

Just looking for a way to define my benchmarks (agreeable to the community) for cloud correlation and using multiple heads and breaking a job up between heads on different hypervisors.

Stuart Weston Bsc (Hons), MPhil (Hons), MInstP
Mobile: 021 713062
Skype: stuart.d.weston
Email:  stuart.weston at aut.ac.nz<mailto:stuart.weston at aut.ac.nz>
http://www.atnf.csiro.au/people/Stuart.Weston/index.html

Software Engineer
Institute for Radio Astronomy & Space Research (IRASR)
School of Computing & Mathematical Sciences
Faculty of Creative Technologies
Auckland University of Technology, New Zealand.
http://www.irasr.aut.ac.nz/

[NewIRASRLogo]