[Difx-users] structure of fits-idi files

harro verkouter hverkouter at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 02:57:36 EDT 2016

Hi Franz,

FITS dates from the era of FORTRAN and thus the first axis should go
fastest, then the 2nd etc.
But it depends a bit on what the (implied) order of the axes is in the difx
FITS-IDI array. You may want to take a closer look at the full header for
the 'UV_DATA' table - there may be hints in there what the order of the
axes is within the 'FLUX' column. The logical choice would indeed be IF *
CHANNELS * POL * 2 values / complex number (or 3, in sfxc's case; we record
a weight per spectral point too: (re, im, wgt)), thus IF goes first, then
channel etc.

In sfxc those axes have been made explicit - as you can tell, so there's no
ambiguity of how to interpret them.

Cheers,