[Difx-users] IPP Licensing

Kerney, Peter peter.kerney at intel.com
Fri May 6 03:07:54 EDT 2016

Hi All DiFX users,

I am a technical person in Intel Australia and I do a reasonable amount in the HPC market here. I have been lurking on this list for a while, due to my involvement in some of the local and worldwide projects, so I thought this was a good reason for me to chime in. ☺

IPP does not require a runtime license, you only need a license for the number of developers. E.g. You have 3 people working on a project on a 128 node cluster, you only need 3 licenses.
If you are running someone else’s binary, you don’t need a license at all, the IPP installation has a runtime distributable package that you can ship with the binaries. As far as the compiler license issue you are seeing you may have a node locked license and may need the license moved to another host ID (let me know if this is the case). You can also get floating licenses if you have a number of developers but not all are active at the same time which is typical for an academic institution.

From the EULA: "Redistributables" (if any) are the files listed in the following text files that may be included in the Materials for the applicable Intel Software Development Product: clredist.txt, credist.txt, fredist.txt, redist.txt, and redist-rt.txt.

As you say, IPP is typically included as part of a bundle with the compilers “Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2016” which has a lot of other useful tools for performance optimization included and I think you can get pretty generous Academic licenses. I haven’t been in the Software Group for a little while so I can’t comment on exact pricing. But an Australian reseller website linked me to this page. http://softwarestore.ispfulfillment.com/Store/Product.aspx?skupart=I23SD8 where a $129 renewal or $249 new price was given (not sure if this is A$ or US$ but you get the idea).

If you need some introductions to the Intel software tools people (from your email it looks like you may be in NZ?) I am happy to help out or indeed for people in other regions I can find the appropriate contacts in your region.

IPP is a heavily optimized library and gets the full work over when we introduce a new architecture and/or new instructions such as AVX/AVX2/AVX512(KNC/KNL). This is the easiest way to get the performance out of the new systems when we release them which is important when you read the next paragraph.

We are also really close to shipping developer systems for the next generation Intel Xeon Phi processor(Knights Landing KNL). http://dap.xeonphi.com/
I’m very interested to see some of you DiFX users on this platforms to see how the code performs.
If you would like more information, again, let me know where you are and I can find the right people.

Regards, Peter Kerney.

Peter Kerney, Enterprise Solution Architect
Intel Australia Pty Ltd
Level 17, 111 Pacific Highway
North Sydney NSW 2060 Australia
peter.kerney at intel.com<mailto:peter.kerney at intel.com>