[Difx-users] Constraint on the FFT resolution to correlate the wide-band (e.g., 2 GHz) data

Ludwig Schwardt schwardt at ska.ac.za
Wed Aug 24 08:00:50 EDT 2016

That's an interesting problem...

Let N be the number of wide-band channels, Fs the sampling rate in Hz and
Fr the fringe rate in seconds per second.

The usual duration of an FFT in seconds = 2 * N / Fs
The fringe rate in ns / s = 1e9 * Fr
The sampling time in ns = 1e9 / Fs

So the delta fractional sample delay becomes (2 * N / Fs) * (1e9 * Fr) /
(1e9 / Fs) = 2 * N * Fr, which is independent of the total bandwidth and/or
sampling rate.

If you want to keep this delta below say 0.1 (thereby ensuring 99.8%
efficiency), at the stated worst-case fringe rate of 1 microsec/s, this
suggests that you cannot have more than 50,000 channels in your wide-band
FFT, regardless of bandwidth.

Best regards,

Ludwig