[daip] NaN issues with Arch Linux 4.12.12-1-ARCH kkernel 4.12.12) and Debian 9

Jay Blanchard blanchard at jive.eu
Wed Oct 11 04:47:53 EDT 2017

Hi Eric, all,
We've observed similar issues to your front page warning about Fedora 25 ,
26 and Ubuntu 17.04 with task 'IMAGR' running in Arch Linux (debian based)
and Debian 9.

Three computers have shown this issue with exactly the same symptoms, all
running kernels 4.12.12 or 4.12.13

Along with the NaN we also get the following feedback in the aips window
(not msgserv):

ZMSFI2: REQUEST FOR BYTES 1 THRU = 0
ZMSFI2: BEYOND EOF = 0
 ZMSGDK: OPER = READ LUN = 12 NREC =        1
 ZMSGER: SYSTEM I/O ERROR CODE =         -1
MSGWRT ERROR      3 AT OPEN
IMAGR3: ZFI2: DELAY 1
ZMSFI2: REQUEST FOR BYTES 1 THRU = 0
ZMSFI2: BEYOND EOF = 0
 ZMSGDK: OPER = READ LUN = 12 NREC =        1
 ZMSGER: SYSTEM I/O ERROR CODE =         -1
MSGWRT ERROR      3 AT OPEN
IMAGR3: ZABORS: signal 11 received
ZMSFI2: REQUEST FOR BYTES 1 THRU = 0
ZMSFI2: BEYOND EOF = 0
 ZMSGDK: OPER = READ LUN = 12 NREC =        1
 ZMSGER: SYSTEM I/O ERROR CODE =         -1
MSGWRT ERROR      3 AT OPEN
IMAGR3: ABORT!
AIPS 3: TASK QUIT WITHOUT RESUMING ME

In MSGSERV the feedback is:
LOCALH> IMAGR3: GRDFLT: convolution function sampled every 1/100 of a cell
LOCALH> IMAGR3: GRDMEM: Ave    8 Channels; 4.934740E+09 to 5.046240E+09 Hz
LOCALH> IMAGR3: Field    1 Sum of gridding weights =  7.48882E+03
LOCALH> IMAGR3: Field    1 Beam min =    NaN      Jy, max =    NaN      Jy
LOCALH> IMAGR3: FITBM: SOLUTION FOR RESTORING BEAM FAILED
LOCALH> IMAGR3: Fit Gaussian FWHM =    2.719 x    2.719 Milliarcsec, PA=
 45.0
LOCALH> IMAGR3: CLBHIS: minimum component 0.500 of current peak
LOCALH> IMAGR3: Field    1 min = -448.7 MilliJy,max =    1.5      Jy
LOCALH> IMAGR3: Loading field    1 from -4.49E-01 to  1.52E+00 interp by 4

I compiled AIPS from source using gcc and gfortran and no longer see these
issues.
However I now see the following message occasionally:

"Note: The following floating-point exceptions are signalling:
IEEE_UNDERFLOW_FLAG IEEE_DENORMAL"

This may or may not be related to the above problem. It could also be me
missing a compiler flag/option.
It doesn't seem to be affecting anything noticably so far...

I apologise if this is the wrong place for this kind of feedback but wasn't
sure where else to put it.
Regards!
Jay