[daip] No AIPSTV from remote server

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon May 15 18:57:42 EDT 2017

On 05/15/2017 12:58 PM, Samir Choudhuri wrote:
> Dear Sir,
>
> AIPSTV screen is working fine when aips run form the local machine where
> it is installed. But TV screen is not appearing from remote machine
> (login via ssh). Could you please help me regarding this issue? The
> following startup message is attached for your reference.
>

> START_AIPS: Will use or start first available Unix Socket based TV
> START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the
> START_AIPS:  - system name , AIPS type
>
> START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
> DADEVS.PL <http://DADEVS.PL>: This program is untested under Perl
> version 5.022
>   (Using global default file /home/aips/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for DADEVS.PL
> <http://DADEVS.PL>)
>    Disk 1 (1) is /data/aips_data/LOCALHOST_1/
>
> Tape assignments:
>    Tape 1 is REMOTE
>    Tape 2 is REMOTE
>
> START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on localhost asynchronously
> START_AIPS:  - WITH Unix Sockets as requested...
> START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on LOCALHOST asynchronously...
> Starting up 31DEC16 AIPS with normal priority
> Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC16) at priority =   0
> AIPS 1: You are not on a local TV device, welcome stranger
> AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   2
> AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   2
> AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
> ?DADEVS.PL <http://DADEVS.PL>: This program is untested under Perl
> version 5.022
> UNIXSERVERS: TVSRV1 is already running on host localhost, user samir
> UNIXSERVERS: Start XAS1 on localhost, DISPLAY localhost:10.0
> UNIXSERVERS: Start graphics server TKSRV1 on localhost, display
> localhost:10.0
> XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
> XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
> XAS: Using screen width 1356 height 668,
>      max grey level 8191 in 16 grey-scale memories
> X Error of failed request:  BadAccess (attempt to access private
> resource denied)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  130 (MIT-SHM)
>   Minor opcode of failed request:  1 (X_ShmAttach)
>   Serial number of failed request:  29
> UNIXSERVERS: Start message server MSSRV1 on localhost, display
> localhost:10.0
>

> with reagrds,
> Samir Choudhuri

You cannot use shared memory between computers.  See HELP XAS for
information on how to set up $HOME/.Xdefaults so that you do not request
shared memory.  This usage with TV=local means that the host does not
know that the machine is not in fact local.  XAS runs on the host but
the display is on the remote machine - but you cannot use shared memory.
  I think the speed is only hurt a little if you never use shared even
locally.