[daip] AIPS problem

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri May 5 16:59:42 EDT 2017

On 05/02/2017 10:08 AM, Rosenthal, Shoshana wrote:
> HI Eric,
>
> I have not contacted you for a very long time. AIPS has been working
> fine for us.
> However I am having a problem today.
>
> I installed the latest 2016 AIPS and am having problems to start it.
> I get the following  errors
>
> aips notv
>
> START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the
> START_AIPS:  - system name , AIPS type
>
> START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
> DADEVS.PL <http://DADEVS.PL>: This program is untested under Perl
> version 5.010
>   (Using global default file /u1/AIPS/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for DADEVS.PL
> <http://DADEVS.PL>)
>                   /u1/AIPS/DATA/RGLINUX13_1 is currently unavailable.
>                   /u1/AIPS/DATA/RGLINUX13_3 is currently unavailable.
>                   /u1/AIPS/DATA/RGLINUX13_4 is currently unavailable.
>
> START_AIPS: Cannot start AIPS because there are no defined data areas!
> START_AIPS: (check DADEVS.LIST or .dadevs files, or AIPSASSN.\*)
> I checked DADEVS.LIST
>
> # DADEVS.LIST
> #-----------------------------------------------------------------------
> # This is a DADEVS list file containing a list of AIPS data directories.
> # Refer to $AIPS_ROOT/DADEVS.SH for more information.
> #-----------------------------------------------------------------------
> -  /u1/AIPS/DATA/RGLINUX13_1
> -  /u1/AIPS/DATA/RRLINUX13_2
> -  /u1/AIPS/DATA/RGLINUX13_3
> -  /u1/AIPS/DATA/RGLINUX13_4
> "
>
> Do you know what the problem might be.
>
> Thanks
> Shoshana Rosenthal
>
> srosnethal at cfa.harvard.edu <mailto:srosnethal at cfa.harvard.edu>

Sorry about the delay - have been on vacation.

It would seem that the SPACE file is missing in these data areas or has
permissions that do not allow it to be written by the current user.
Note that SOACE is 0 bytes and is used to insure atomic file creation.
It is tested on start up to see that the data area is accessible.