[daip] SPECR + UVFRE: Combining VLA datasets with different frequency axes.

Nissim Kanekar nkanekar at ncra.tifr.res.in
Fri Jun 23 11:15:36 EDT 2017

Hi Eric,

> On 06/22/2017 03:40 PM, Nissim Kanekar wrote:
>>
>>  Hi Eric,
>>
>>  I've run into a problem with combining two VLA datasets with different
>>  frequency axes, using SPECR and UVFRE in 31DEC17. One dataset is from
>>  the VLA and has a bandwidth of 3.125 MHz and 128 channels (i.e. channel
>>  resolution of 24.41 kHz), while the other is from the JVLA and has a
>>  bandwidth of 4 MHz and 256 channels (i.e. channel resolution of 24.41
>>  kHz). The bands are also centred at different frequencies.
>>
>>  I first used SPECR with NPOINTS 160 to convert the JVLA dataset to a
>>  channel resolution of 25 kHz, and then SPECR with NPOINTS 125 to convert
>>  the VLA dataset to the same resolution. The VLA.SPECR dataset has a
>>  frequency of 1418.4974 MHz at channel 63 and 125 channels. I then SPLIT
>>  the JVLA.SPECR dataset to produce a dataset with 125 channels and 25 kHz
>>  resolution, and with a central frequency of 1418.8454 MHz (within half a
>>  channel of the value in the VLA dataset). And then ran UVFRE to regrid
>>  the JVLA.SPECR dataset to the VLA.SPECR dataset. The JVLA.UVFRE file now
>>  appears to have the same frequency structure as the VLA.SPECR dataset,
>>  i.e. 125 channels, with a frequency of 1418.4974 MHz at channel 63, and
>>  a channel resolution of 25 kHz. However, when I next run DBCON to
>>  combine the two files (keeping the VLA.SPECR file first and the
>>  JVLA.UVFRE file second), I get the following error message:
>>
>> JEEVES> DBCON1:  Copied WX file from vol/cno/vers  1    8   1 to  1   11
>> JEEVES> DBCON1:  1
>> JEEVES> DBCON1:  Copied OF file from vol/cno/vers  1    8   1 to  1   11
>> JEEVES> DBCON1:  1
>> JEEVES> DBCON1:  Copied FO file from vol/cno/vers  1    8   1 to  1   11
>> JEEVES> DBCON1:  1
>> JEEVES> DBCON1:  TABINI: KEY COUNTS     51     51 OR COLS     13     11
>>  DON'T MAT
>> JEEVES>          CH
>> JEEVES> DBCON1:  DBCAPP: ERROR    1 OPENING INPUT TABLE
>> JEEVES> DBCON1:  Appears to have ended successfully
>> JEEVES> DBCON1:  jeeves 31DEC17 TST: Cpu=     14.5  Real=     15  IO=
>>  12065
>>

>>  The DBCON output file now only contains the first datafile (the VLA
>>  dataset), when plotted with VPLOT.
>>
>>  If I try changing the order in DBCON, with the JVLA.UVFRE file first and
>>  the VLA.SPECR dataset second, I get a different error:
>>

>> JEEVES> DBCON1:  Task DBCON  (release of 31DEC17) begins
>> JEEVES> DBCON1:  WARNING: COMBINING VISIBILITY DATA WITH DATAOF UNKNOWN
>> JEEVES> DBCON1:  TYPE
>> JEEVES> DBCON1:  RA does not match, will shift second
>> JEEVES> DBCON1:  DEC does not match, will shift second
>> JEEVES> DBCON1:  Create ESO 461-36  .DBCON .   1 (UV)  on disk  1  cno   11
>> JEEVES> DBCON1:  Copied AN file from vol/cno/vers  1    7   1 to  1   11
>> JEEVES> DBCON1:  1
>> JEEVES> DBCON1:  Copied AN file from vol/cno/vers  1    4   1 to  1   11
>> JEEVES> DBCON1:  2
> [...]

You're absolutely right: I did have two AN tables in the output file. Didn't
realize that VPLOT would only show a single sub-array; I thought it would show
data from one sub-array and then data from the second sub-array. I just tried
forcing DOARRAY 1 in DBCON and the DBCON output file now has a single AN table,
and VPLOT shows both datasets. I guess the strange error message may not have
been relevant?

Many thanks!

Hope all's well with you...

Best wishes,