[daip] Problems with CVEL on WSRT and GMRT data.

Nissim Kanekar nkanekar at ncra.tifr.res.in
Tue Jul 11 14:58:45 EDT 2017

Dear Eric,

I've recently come across some strange problems when using CVEL in 31DEC16
andd 31DEC17 on GMRT and WSRT data. The data were taken with simple in-band
frequency-switching, where a single IF band (of bandwidth=5 MHz or 6.25 MHz) is
used and the line is kept within the band by shifting the band centre frequency
by 2 MHz and then back to the original value every 5 minutes. We then run BPASS
separately on the original data set and the frequency-shifted data set, and
copy the BP tables from the original data set to the frequency-shifted data
set, and vice versa. And finally run CVEL on the two single-source SPLIT files
to shift each to the LSR frame before obtaining the absorption spectrum by
averaging the visibilities in POSSM (the target sources are phase calibrators).
The procedure has worked fine in the past (we used this for both GMRT and WSRT
data in 2006-2011) but we find a velocity offset between the spectra obtained
from the original and frequency-switched data sets after CVEL. The velocity
offset between the spectra is different for different sources and is seen in
both WSRT and GMRT data. I've also checked the header of the GMRT data and
compared it to the old GMRT data (where CVEL used to work fine) and find that
the headers look the same. Further, I ran dopset to work out what the velocity
shift to the LSR frame should be (ignoring the 0.5 km/s due to earth rotation)
and find that the shift computed by CVEL appears close to correct for the
original data set but is wrong (by a few km/s in some cases) for the
frequency-switched data set. I'm actually not sure whether the problem here is
due to the frequency-switching or just something in CVEL on single-source files;
the only place where frequency-switching has been done is applying the
frequency-switched bandpass table and I wouldn't have thought that this should
have an effect on the frequency axis. I was wondering whether you might have
some idea as to what might be going on.

Many thanks indeed!

Best wishes,
Nissim