[daip] Error in parallactic angle

Andy Biggs abiggs at eso.org
Mon Jan 9 14:31:01 EST 2017

Hi Eric,

This is old VLA.

I know it's probably very unlikely to stem from a programming error, but
I'm really lost to explain what I'm seeing. I suppose I'm wondering if
an error might have been missed for many years because users generally
avoid using PPA calibrators (or targets) that are close to the zenith. I
have no choice as, for better or worse, 3C48 was the calibrator chosen
by these observers and no attempt was made to avoid transit in what will
have been dynamically scheduled observations. On the other hand, I have
many epochs and so could remove those that are potentially affected and
I think that's probably what I'll end up doing. Before I do that though,
I'd just like to check every possibility.

In case it's relevant, these are A-configuration data and 3C48 is very
resolved at X and U Band. To measure the PPA of this source I make maps
and measure the PPA at the peak of the polarized emission. This is not
ideal and hour-angle effects will play a role due to the varying beam
and the averaging of the PPA which varies across the source, but I would
think that the beam would be pretty circular around transit.

The source I'm comparing 3C48 to, 3C119, transits much further away from
the zenith, is brighter and much less resolved so I'm pretty confident
in the results derived from it.

Andy

--

Andy Biggs