[daip] Error in parallactic angle

Andy Biggs abiggs at eso.org
Sun Jan 8 13:32:01 EST 2017

Hi there,

I'm analysing VLA data from two monitoring campaigns that were observed
over the same 3-month period. One used 3C119 as the PPA calibrator and
the other 3C48. 3C119 is far superior as it's unresolved in polarized
flux and doesn't pass as close to the zenith. If I compare the R-L phase
corrections, there is a very interesting systematic offset between the
two within an hour or two of transit - see attached plot.

I showed this to Rick and he suggested an error in the assumed
parallactic angle due to misalignment of the antenna pads and, sure
enough, the functional form of that agrees well with what I see (blue
line on plot). However, to match the data I have to assume an offset of
~10' which is about an order of magnitude too big. Ken Sowinski says
that a few pads were erroneously built parallel to local gravity as
opposed to the centre of the array and that an error of ~10' would be
possible for a misaligned pad at the end of an arm, but repeating the
analysis deleting each antenna one by one makes no difference.

Although very unlikely, I am wondering therefore if it might be possible
that AIPS is making an error with the source or array position when
correcting for the parallactic angle. This would be a very neat
explanation, particularly as it's not clear to me how random
pad-alignment errors would lead to a systematic offset - I would expect
them to all cancel out.

Might such a thing be possible? Note that the 3C48 R-L corrections were
derived from Q and U fluxes measured from maps made using IMAGR.

Thanks,

Andy

--

Andy Biggs