[daip] IMAGR question

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Sep 26 17:27:53 EDT 2016

On 09/21/2016 11:03 AM, Lisa Young wrote:
> Hi Eric.  I am hoping you can help me with a question on the way IMAGR
> has implemented the residual-rescaling method of Jorsater & van Moorsel
> 95.  I'm sure you remember that the issue is about the difference
> between the dirty beam area and the clean beam area, and that can be
> important when the clean components are added back to the residual image.

The code in AIPS is simple - it sums the beam over the specified
rectangular area and the restoring beam over its Gaussian size.

I do NOT recommend this option.  If you image allowing IMAGR to fit the
Clean beam to the dirty beam then you really do have the residual and
components on a relatively close scale.  The actual scale is adjusted
channel by channel so that all planes are on the same Jy per HEADER beam
while the actual Clean beam parameters are stored in an attached (CG)
table.  To put all planes of a cube on the same resolution, one then
uses CONVL which will convolve each plane appropriately to get the
desired output resolution.  This is then carefully consistent in the
handling of units - the old approach is not.