[daip] FILLM fails to open VLA archival files

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Sun Nov 13 16:44:24 EST 2016

On 11/13/2016 01:20 PM, Roland Karlsson wrote:

>   Task FILLM  (release of 31DEC15) begins
> sofus > FILLM1: ******************************************************
> Dear Dr Greisen,
>
> I have trouble getting files into AIPS, see below. I suspect it has
> something to do with the file naming, but I couldn´t sort it out.
>
> With best regards,
>
> Dr Roland Karlsson
> Stockholm University
>

> sofus > FILLM1: **   Times written by FILLM are now centered in     **
> sofus > FILLM1: **   the integration, before they were at the end   **
> sofus > FILLM1: ******************************************************
> sofus > FILLM1: Shadow flag limit =  2.500E+01 meters.
> sofus > FILLM1: Opacity correction in CL table weighted average of
> weather and
> sofus > FILLM1:    season.  Weight for weather = 0.50
> sofus > FILLM1: **** New opacity model is being used ***
> sofus > FILLM1: Gain curve correction in CL table read from file,
> sofus > FILLM1:    with variation as function of antenna and band.
> sofus > FILLM1: Opening MYAREA:WILL_I800320.xp2.first1
> sofus > FILLM1: ZTPOPN: DISK DEVICE = MYAREA:WILL_I800320.xp2. NOT FOUND
> sofus > FILLM1: FLDKIO: ERROR   2 OPENING FILE
> sofus > FILLM1: Error      8 opening VLA archive data disk file.
> sofus > FILLM1: FLMUV: FLMDAT error  8
> sofus > FILLM1: Read         0 visibilities from  0 files
> sofus > FILLM1: Appears to have ended successfully
> sofus > FILLM1: sofus        31DEC15 TST: Cpu=       0.1  Real=
>

> The files I want to read are:
>
> WILL_I800320.xp2.both
> WILL_I800320.xp2.first
> WILL_I800320.xp3.both
> WILL_I800320.xp3.second

Is $MYAREA defined correctly before you start AIPS?  I had forgotten the
quirks of the old task FILLM - see below:

And FILLM is strange in its file naming - note the file name it wanted
to open.  FILLM expects to have the name with a file number appended.
Try renaming the files with a 1 appended.  I attach the relevant portion
of HELP FILLM
   DATAIN.....If non-blank, the data are already on disk and are to be
              read from disk file DATAIN (with the file number
              concatenated).  Thus,
                   DATAIN='MYAREA:VLAtapes/file_
                   NFILE = 4
              will cause files from directory $MYAREA/VLAtapes named
              file_5, file_6, file_7, etc. to be read.  (Note that
              DATAIN= is the only command on the line and there is no
              close '.)     See EXPLAIN for a discussion.
              To use the VLA archive directly, contact NRAO at
                 analysts at nrao.edu.
              The web has tools to review the contents of the archive
                 http://www.vla.nrao.edu/astro/archive/vladb/
              and to request data from the archive
                 http://www.vla.nrao.edu/astro/archive/archreq/