[daip] AIPS question

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Mar 3 10:45:27 EST 2016

On 03/03/2016 07:36 AM, Moore, Amber wrote:
> Mr. Greisen,
>
> Thank you for all your help during are AIPS installation process. My
> adviser and I have stumbled across two questions we'd like to ask you.
>
> The first is the following:  Now that we have installed the 31DEC15
> version of AIPS, is there any reason not to delete the 31DEC07 and
> 31DEC08 directories and subdirectories in the Aips root directory?
>
> The second is the following: we are trying to run AIPS tv. The only to
> Windows that show are the messenger window and Tek-Serv window. We are
> not sure why the AIPS tv window will not pop up.

By all means delete the really old versions.  Some data formats are
incompatible so they do not serve as comparisons.  (Some users will
check the previous versions if a task has an issue - info like it fails
in TST but works in NEW is quite helpful.)

As aips starts up there are numerous messages about the TV starting.  I
can't help you much without seeing them.  On Macs, there is often an
issue with shared memory.  See the AIPS Manager FAQ page found from
http://www.aips.nrao.edu
Sometimes there is also an issue with recognizing the host for internet
sockets.  Unless you really require a shared internet TV, you can start
AIPS with the command
        aips tv=local
(HELP AIPS will show more details about this command form).