[daip] RUNNING RM synthesis tasks (or getting ready to do so)

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Jun 9 16:43:17 EDT 2016

On 06/09/2016 02:36 PM, Eric Perlman wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> Thanks for your response.
>> Why are you running FQUBE or MCUBE??  You already have cubes in Q and
>> U and I (V is of little use).  These are the inputs to DOFARS (the Q
>> and U images are INNAME and IN2NAME) which will transpose them and
>> then run FARS.  Note that you will need the transposed Q and U cubes
>> for both FARS and RMFIT so it is probably better to use TRANS and then
>> FARS directly rather than have to do the transposition over again for
>> RMFIT.
>>
>> Be sure to study teh relevant portions of AIPS Memo 118 to learn about
>> RMFIT.  You do not have a particularly long freq axis so the FARS
>> output will be disappointing.  RMFIT may be able to pull some info out
>> however...
>>

> Primarily because I did not have AIPS Memo 118 and could not find it on
> the Web!  The Google searches did not link to it either and my former
> grad student's (Sayali Avachat) notes weren't that helpful either,
> probably because she did it years ago.
>
> Anyway, though, since it's recent VLBA data with the RDBE, isn't there
> something like 128 channels in each band?  In that case there is
> significant leverage.  Anyway, I'm reading through that memo now.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eric

You have AIPSMEM118.pdf in every AIPS installation so it should be easy
to find or use the AIPS web site www.aips.nrao.edu.

You have a bandwidth of 32 MHz at 4852 MHz.  Bandwidth factors like 2:1
are much more productive in RM synthesis and frequencies < 1 GHz give
much narrower RM synthesized beam widths.  Go ahead and try it but do
not pin much hope for it.