[daip] AIPS issue

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Jul 29 16:53:40 EDT 2016

On 07/29/2016 02:46 PM, Ross Burns wrote:
> Dear Eric
>
> Im having an issue with starting AIPS.
> Background: Running 31DEC16 (LNX64) on a server which is used (mostly by
> remote ssh) by several others.
>
> I've been using it all week with no problems - suddenly, today, on
> trying to log in I get a TV and message server pop up, and AIPS sees all
> the disks and even prompts for a user ID. Upon entering an ID everything
> hangs for a few seconds and then I get:
> AIPS 2: ZOPEN: STILL WAITING FOR FILE DA00:ACD000000;
> which slowly repeats.
>
> The same things happens for all IDs
>
> Below is the full opening scene and error messages.
> Your help would be much appreciated, as always.
> Kind regards
> Ross
>
> [RossBurns at kava k15hi01i]$ aips tv=local
> START_AIPS: Will use or start first available Unix Socket based TV
> START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the
> START_AIPS:  - system name , AIPS type
> START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
> DADEVS.PL <http://DADEVS.PL>: This program is untested under Perl
> version 5.010
>    (Using global default file /usr/local/aips/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for
> DADEVS.PL <http://DADEVS.PL>)
>     Disk 1 (1) is /usr/local/aips/DATA/LOCALHOST_1
>     Disk 2 (2) is /usr/local/aips/DATA/LOCALHOST_2
>     Disk 3 (3) is /usr/local/aips/DATA/LOCALHOST_3
>     Disk 4 (4) is /usr/local/aips/DATA/LOCALHOST_4
>     Disk 5 (5) is /usr/local/aips/DATA/LOCALHOST_5
>
> Tape assignments:
>     Tape 1 is REMOTE
>     Tape 2 is REMOTE
> START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on localhost asynchronously
> START_AIPS:  - WITH Unix Sockets as requested...
> START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on LOCALHOST asynchronously...
> Starting up 31DEC16 AIPS with normal priority
> Begin the one true AIPS number 2 (release of 31DEC16) at priority =   0
> AIPS 2: You are not on a local TV device, welcome stranger
> AIPS 2: You are assigned TV device/server   2
> AIPS 2: You are assigned graphics device/server   2
> AIPS 2: Enter user ID number
> ?DADEVS.PL <http://DADEVS.PL>: This program is untested under Perl
> version 5.010
> UNIXSERVERS: TVSRV1 is already running on host localhost, user 508
> UNIXSERVERS: Start XAS1 on localhost, DISPLAY localhost:10.0
> UNIXSERVERS: Start graphics server TKSRV1 on localhost, display
> localhost:10.0
> UNIXSERVERS: Start message server MSSRV1 on localhost, display
> localhost:10.0
> XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
> XAS: !!! Shared memory not selected !!!
> XAS: Using screen width 1270 height 678,
>       max grey level 8191 in 16 grey-scale memories
>
> AIPS 2: Enter user ID number
> ?329
> AIPS 2: ZOPEN: STILL WAITING FOR FILE DA00:ACD000000;
> AIPS 2: ZOPEN: STILL WAITING FOR FILE DA00:ACD000000;
> AIPS 2: ZOPEN: STILL WAITING FOR FILE DA00:ACD000000;
> AIPS 2: ZOPEN: STILL WAITING FOR FILE DA00:ACD000000;
> [...]

Somehow the accounting file has gotten locked by some process - perhaps
one long gone from the system.  I assume that you do not want to reboot
which should fix the issue.  So

cd $AIPS_ROOT/DA00/<hostname>
mv ACD000000\; ACD000000.save
cp ACD000000.save ACD000000\;

This should get rid of the lock (leaving it on the .save version)

Otherwise
RUN FILAIP
AMANAGER
8 2