[daip] VCAL in SETJY

Andy Biggs abiggs at eso.org
Fri Jul 8 12:51:01 EDT 2016

Hi.

I have VLBI observations of an HI absorber that was initially discovered
with the GBT. If I compare the two spectra, they look very similar, but
they appear to be offset in velocity by ~300m/s. The attachment shows
the spectra as well as their difference.

Now, the vertical scaling is arbitrary as there's a bright source of
unknown flux density in the GBT beam that's diluting the apparent
optical depth. The way I've scaled the spectra is as if there's an
additional component missed by the VLBI array (certainly possible) but a
velocity offset remains a possibility. I therefore want to be sure that
the velocity scales are correct. I'm talking to GBT people, but I'd also
like to check that what I did in AIPS with the VLBI data is correct,
especially as I'm not an experienced spectral-line VLBI observer.

Basically, I used SETJY with its VCAL option to calculate the velocity
at the reference pixel and then ran CVEL. That's it really - seems very
straightforward. The reference pixel is also close to the line so there
should be no issues with the velocity increment being a function of
frequency in the optical definition. This all sounds fine?

What I've also done is to try and calculate the geocentric to
barycentric velocity conversion using some IDL code from the astrolib
library and compare this to the AIPS value. The latter isn't reported,
but I can calculate it as I know what the velocity at the reference
pixel is in the geocentric frame.

In the IDL code, there's an input that I don't entirely understand
("input epoch of mean equinox of dvelh and dvelb") where dvel are the
heliocentric and barycentric velocities. I assume though that it should
be set to the date of the observation and doing that causes the AIPS and
IDL values to differ by only 5m/s which is of course excellent.

So, AIPS seems to be doing the right thing, but it would be great if you
could reassure me that what I'm doing sounds okay.

Thanks,

Andy

--

Andy Biggs