[daip] A&P selfcal

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Jan 21 15:19:17 EST 2016

On 01/21/2016 12:22 PM, Farhad Zadeh wrote:
> Hi Eric,
> Can you please let me know the best way to do amplitude self-cal on a
> cube that has multiple IFs and the central source (Sgr A*) varies as a
> function of frequency.
> It is not clear what the spectrum is.
> Do I need to split the cube into individual IF data sets  and then
> self-cal one by one and then put them back together?
>    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

AIPS does not really have a good method for this.  You can make images
of the source and of the spectral index with SPIXR.  Then you can divide
the model into the data and solve for gains with OOCAL (a procedure).
This has not been a well-tested route however.  Separating the data by
spectral window (IF) and using separate models and separate self-cals is
certain to work.  If the source varies by this much I am not sure that
you can put the IFs back together - SPIXR might help represent the
multiple IFs in only 2 images however.

OBIT and CASA both have more elaborate methods to handle this issue.
Whether they work well I cannot say.