[daip] Fwd: Re: AIPS Installation question

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Feb 22 10:19:45 EST 2016

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Re: AIPS Installation question
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 08:19:15 -0700
From: Eric Greisen <egreisen at nrao.edu>
To: Moore, Amber <ammo273 at g.uky.edu>

On 02/21/2016 02:21 PM, Moore, Amber wrote:
> Mr. Greisen,
>
> Unfortunately my adviser, Dr. Tom Troland, and I have run into another
> problem in our AIPS installation process and were wondering if you could
> help us.
>
> We tried again to run aips. After typing "aips", we received the
> following error message:
>
> START_AIPS: AIPS_ROOT is not a directory; cannot start AIPS.
>

> So the system does not seem to know that our AIPS_ROOT directory is
> aips, as we specified when we ran the install script.
>
> However, the install script created a file "LOGIN.CSH" in our aips root
> directory "aips".
>
> In this file LOGIN.CSH is the line:
>

> setenv AIPS_ROOT /home44/home50/aipsz/aips
>

> I thought that this line was specifying our aips root directory correctly.
>
> We ran the LOGIN.CSH file with the command "source ./LOGIN.CSH", as
> instructed by the install script.
>

> I am sure we are making a simple mistake some where, but I have yet to
> catch it.

Your login file (.cshrc, .tcshrc, .bashrc, or ??) needs to have one or
more lines, e.g.

serenv AIPS_ROOT  /home44/home50/aipsz/aips
source $AIPS_ROOT/LOGIN.SH

(this is for c shell) so that the symbol AIPS_ROOT is known.  You could
simply do

  source /home44/home50/aipsz/aips/LOGIN.SH

rather than have the 2 lines.  Nothing has told the system to read the
aips LOGIN.CSH file so $AIPS_ROOT is not known.