[daip] UVFIT

Andy Biggs abiggs at eso.org
Fri Feb 19 14:24:03 EST 2016

Hi there. Is UVFIT still believed to work? I am finding it difficult to
get anything sensible out of it. I am using it to fit to VLA data which
include e.g. about a minute's worth of 3C84 i.e. very nearly a point
source of 21 Jy. Unless I set dopos=-1, the fluxes are just gibberish
and usually returns the input guess.

If you'd like to investigate, I have put a dataset at
ftp://ftp.eso.org/pub/general/abiggs/UVFIT.FITS

The following seem to me to be the basic inputs required for a fit:

source '0319+415' ''
docalib 1
gmax 21 0
go

The other inputs take sensible defaults. In 31DEC16, this just gives me
back the inputs I gave it. If I set dopos=-1, it at least attempts to
vary the flux.

Is there something stupid I'm forgetting to do? I've definitely got this
task to work in the past. IMSIZE has always somewhat baffled me, but I
thought that leaving it at 0,0 would allow one to fit a point source.

I've been using the difmap modelfitter, but if I could do this in AIPS
it would make my life so much easier. I'm trying to perform PPA
calibration using 3C119 on many datasets and at the moment I have to
SPLIT, FITTP, difmap, extract results from difmap logfile and then run
CLCOR using an AIPS runfile.

That said, there doesn't seem to be any way to actually use a sane flux
from UVFIT as input into CLCOR. It would be good if one could have FMAX
like with JMFIT, but I suppose this is difficult given that UVFIT allows
one to fit up to 60 components.

I just explored using OMFIT and this actually works, but can't fit to Q
and U it seems.

Thanks,

Andy

--