[daip] AIPS Installation question

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Feb 17 10:44:36 EST 2016

On 02/17/2016 12:16 AM, Moore, Amber wrote:
> Mr. Greisen,
>
> My name is Amber Moore and I am a current graduate student at the
> University of Kentucky. Recently my research adviser and I tried to
> install AIPS 31DEC15. We ran the install script and skipped over a few
> prompt windows that we weren't sure how to answer at the time. At the
> end of the installation, a "fatal error" occurred which resulted in
> everything not working. However we believe we know why the error occurred.
>
> My question is this: Now that we know what could possibly be the issue,
> if we choose to reinstall the program again and rerun the script, should
> we also delete what was previously downloaded? Or will it replace/know
> what has previously been downloaded?
>
> Thank you for taking the time to read my email. I look forward to your
> feedback.

I believe you can simply do

perl install.pl -n

over again with no problem.  All successful downloads will remain in
place and not be repeated (unless I changed something in the interim -
in which case you will get the updated version).

I just modernized the install.pl instructions

http://www.aips.nrao.edu/install.shtml

so you might want to examine the sections about which you had questions
before repeating the install.pl.  If something still fails, send me the
failure messages and I may be able to help.