[daip] [!8282]: AIPS - PCAL & DOMODEL

Michael Bietenholz do-not-reply at nrao.edu
Thu Apr 14 10:21:28 EDT 2016

Michael Bietenholz updated #8282
--------------------------------

PCAL & DOMODEL
--------------

           Ticket ID: 8282
                 SLA: NRAO E2E
      Template Group: Default
             Created: 14 April 2016 02:21 PM
             Updated: 14 April 2016 02:21 PM
                 Due: 18 April 2016 02:21 PM (4d 0h 0m)
      Resolution Due: 22 April 2016 02:21 PM (8d 0h 0m)

Reading the PCAL explain file I thought that if DOMODL = 1, PCAL should *not* fit the source Q,U, but rather stick to the values in the SU table (or supplied via PMODEL).

With DOMODEL=1; PMODEL [nonzero]; and no IN2NAM, it seems to do that.

However, with DOMODEL=1 and a CC model supplied through IN2NAM etc, it *does* fit the model Q,U, regardless of the setting of DOMODEL.

Is there a way of forcing a resolved (ie. image with a CC table) but unpolarized (i.e. don't fit Q,U) model?  I realize that the assumption of 0 poln. for the model is probably not great, especially if it is resolved, but in troublesome cases and a calibrator known not to be very polarized it would seem useful to throw out the model Q,U degrees of freedom in aid of some kind of solution....

I get these messages, exactly the same regardless of whether DOPOL = 1 or 0

Calibration source   1   3C84
Pol. inten. =   7.84239 +/-********** Jy, angle =  34.70 +/-******* deg
3C84             I,Q,U,V=  15.4515  2.75821  7.34134  0.00000 Jy