[daip] [!8277]: AIPS - Self-cal using SCMAP

Alexandra Truebenbach do-not-reply at nrao.edu
Wed Apr 13 15:46:44 EDT 2016

Alexandra Truebenbach updated #8277
-----------------------------------

Self-cal using SCMAP
--------------------

           Ticket ID: 8277
                 SLA: NRAO E2E
      Template Group: Default
             Created: 13 April 2016 07:46 PM
             Updated: 13 April 2016 07:46 PM
                 Due: 15 April 2016 07:46 PM (2d 0h 0m)
      Resolution Due: 21 April 2016 07:46 PM (8d 0h 0m)

Hi all,
I'm trying to use SCMAP in AIPS to speed up the self-cal process, but I'm running into an error message.  As a first test I've been using SCMAP with the default settings, except imsize=1026 and cellsize=9e-5.  I'm running it for a .split uv data set that I've previously successfully done self-cal on.  The idea was to use SCMAP to redo the self-cal and compare the results to see if it was better / worse than doing it by hand.  SCMAP runs successfully at first and produces the first TV output.  I select continue self-cal and then I get the following messages:
 elzar.> SCMAP1: Self-cal continuing
elzar.> SCMAP1: Determining new calibration from CLEAN model
elzar.> SCMAP1: Copied CC file from vol/cno/vers  2  110   1 to  2  110   2
elzar.> SCMAP1: Using      63 components with flux = 376.899 MilliJy
elzar.> SCMAP1: UVGET: doing no flagging this time
elzar.> SCMAP1: Copied AN file from vol/cno/vers  2    7   1 to  2  109   1
elzar.> SCMAP1: VISDFT: Begin DFT component division
elzar.> SCMAP1: VISDFT: fields 1 - 1 chns 1 - 8 in 1 CC models
elzar.> SCMAP1: I Polarization model processed
elzar.> SCMAP1: VISDFT at visibility number           1
elzar.> SCMAP1: Self-cal uv range =  6.363E+06 to  2.369E+08 wavelengths
elzar.> SCMAP1: NXTAVG: average interval set to    2.00 seconds
elzar.> SCMAP1: SLFREF: rereferencing phases to antenna   1
elzar.> SCMAP1: New calibration table is SN version    3
elzar.> SCMAP1: UVGET: doing no flagging this time
elzar.> SCMAP1: SCUV2S: NO DATA SELECTED
elzar.> SCMAP1: SCUV2S: ERROR COPYING Input UVdata
elzar.> SCMAP1: TO uv data scratch file
elzar.> SCMAP1: SC2SCR:ERROR COPYING UVDATA
elzar.> SCMAP1: ERROR CALIBRATING WITH CLEAN MODEL
elzar.> SCMAP1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
elzar.> SCMAP1: elzar 31DEC15 TST: Cpu=      7.2  Real=     37  IO=      1259

Do you know what's happening?  I'm using basically the defaults except for imsize and cellsize so I'd expect it to work ok.  Those imsize and cellsize have worked fine in CLEAN and IMAGR in the past with this uv file.  Is there another automated self-cal task or program I should be using instead?  My self-cal and imaging are for unresolved point sources so I don't need to do anything fancy during self-cal.

Thanks,
Alex Truebenbach