[daip] [!7296]: AIPS - OMFIT and strange chi2 values

Eric Greisen do-not-reply at nrao.edu
Sat Sep 26 17:08:12 EDT 2015

Eric Greisen updated #7296
--------------------------

       Staff (Owner): Eric Greisen (was: -- Unassigned --)
                 Due: - Cleared - (was: 29 September 2015 10:52 PM)

OMFIT and strange chi2 values
-----------------------------

           Ticket ID: 7296
      Template Group: Default
             Created: 22 September 2015 08:35 PM
             Updated: 26 September 2015 09:08 PM

I have changed the help on NOISE(1) to say that it is any
additional correction to the weights and that 1.0 is the
default (now actually so) and is correct for weights that
are already 1/sigma^2 in 1/Jy^2.  I changed OMFIT.FOR
to make NOISE(1)<= 0 ->1.0 (not -1 as before) so the post-fit
rms will not enter any of the computations.  Then the CHI^2
"true" seems about right and the Ketan one is off by a factor
of the average weight.

I also found a place that tried to write 3 records into one string.
An old bug from previous overhauls of non-standard code.

Note that compiled with gfortran 5.1.0 in debug or optimize, there
has been no issue with dynamic memory.  Perhaps I need to look to
see if you have given me a test problem for that case.