[daip] [!7226]: AIPS - strange scaling of visibility amps & weights w/ DOBAND=1

Michael Bietenholz do-not-reply at nrao.edu
Tue Oct 6 22:10:01 EDT 2015

Michael Bietenholz updated #7226
--------------------------------

strange scaling of visibility amps & weights w/ DOBAND=1

           Ticket ID: 7226
      Template Group: Default
             Created: 08 September 2015 05:34 PM
             Updated: 07 October 2015 02:10 AM

Although it does in fact behave as you suggest, I still think its a bit odd that you can apply a normal-seeming bandpass correction and have the weights of the visibilities for some antennas change by an order of magnitude compared to the others.

The reason for the counter-intuitive (to me anyway) behaviour is the scaling of the weights by the mean BP gain squared.  With one or two channels with BP amplitudes down near 0 (which is not that unusual) the *mean* gain can become arbitrarily large, even though most of the channels have BP-gains (and thuse weight-scale-factors) near unity, and so these same near-zero channels can drag the weight for the whole IF down substantially.

I still think the weights should probably become channel-dependent at the point of BP calibration - is AIPS limited to requiring the weight to be the same for all the channels in an IF?  With channel-dependent weights the above situation doesn't happen, and the overall weight of an IF doesn't change very much upon BP assuming that most of the channels have weights near unity.