[daip] FRING question

Walter Brisken wbrisken at nrao.edu
Tue Nov 17 21:14:43 EST 2015

Hi DAIP,

In doing some correlator comparisons (DiFX versus the JIVE SFXC software
correlator, and with come comparisons to the old VLBA hardware correlator
thrown in the mix too) we have identified that FRING reports substantially
different SNR for the same data when different spectral smoothing is
applied.  This brings up the question:  In FRING, how is SNR actually
calculated?  Specifically, how is the noise calculated?

As a slight follow-up to our explorations, we tried running FRING before
and after deleting the supplied CQ table which supposedly contains enough
information to describe the spectral purity.  We think that this table
(and the values of spectral smoothing) should be considered when
calculating the FRING SNR.  Basically we find that when neighboring
channels are correlated the reported SNR is artificially high.

We are still following some lines of evidence to confirm our suspicions.
Some input from you would certainly help us figure this out.

 	-Walter