[daip] Error in AIPS installation

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed May 27 12:29:51 EDT 2015

On 05/27/2015 12:26 AM, Sameer Salunkhe wrote:
> Respected Sir/Madam,
> I am Sameer, student of Department of Physics, University of Pune. I am
> trying to install AIPS in my PC (64 bit, Ubuntu 12.04 ), but I am
> getting some errors while installing it. I am sending few last lines
> which shows error.

> LINK      :            -lncurses \
> LINK      :            -lbsd \
> LINK      :            -o
> /home/sameer/Sameer/AIPS/31DEC14/LNX64/PREP/SETTVP.EXE
> ld: cannot find -lncurses
> ld: cannot find -lbsd

Why are you compiling AIPS?  Do you plan to write your own AIPS tasks?
If not, the binary installation is very much easier.

perl install.pl -n

The load modules run 40% faster than those compiled with g77 and many
versions of gfortran seem not to work with aips at all.

The -lbsd reference suggests that you have very old files present in
your system (see $SYSLOCAL/LDOPT.SH) and the -lncurses is required to
manage the display screen.  There should be an ncurses library.

Really - the binary installation is easier and better so long as you do
not write your own aips code.