[daip] [!6633]: AIPS - SETFC/field size question

Robert Gray do-not-reply at nrao.edu
Fri May 22 16:20:41 EDT 2015

Robert Gray updated #6633
-------------------------

SETFC/field size question
-------------------------

           Ticket ID: 6633

Hi Eric,

Is there a way to get SETFC, or some other AIPS task, to recommend CELLSIZE (or a range) given constraints of a field size (like 1900 arcsec at 21 cm) and preferred IMSIZE?

I’m asking because I’ve been using recommended values for both IMSIZE and CELLSIZE, and only now I’m seeing that the resulting field sizes range from1600 to 2600 arcsec as I’ve started plotting SAD ‘features’ from adjacent fields together covering M31.  The underlying reason for the different field sizes I think is that the array was being reconfigured from C to BnA over the time between my early and later observations.  I had been using my own calculated values, but got worried by the IMAGR messages about visibilities being lost (up to 10%).

Any thoughts you have on this would be much appreciated!

Bob Gray