[daip] [!6353]: aips - SUMIM for stacking

Joan M. Wrobel do-not-reply at nrao.edu
Thu Mar 19 23:35:50 EDT 2015

Joan M. Wrobel updated #6353
----------------------------

SUMIM for stacking
------------------

           Ticket ID: 6353
                 SLA: NRAO E2E
      Template Group: Default
             Created: 20 March 2015 03:35 AM
             Updated: 20 March 2015 03:35 AM
                 Due: 24 March 2015 03:35 AM (4d 0h 0m)
      Resolution Due: 30 March 2015 03:35 AM (10d 0h 0m)

Eric, I have a Janky VLA image that has been primary-beam corrected.  I used SUBIM to create N cutouts that I want to stack. For each cutout I then used IMEAN to store its local rms as ACTNOISE. The local rms values vary by about a factor of two amongst the N cutouts, with this spread dominantly caused by the primary-beam correction. I then used SUMIM with FACTOR 0 to average over the N cutouts.  Does SUMIM produce a weighted average that honors the N different ACTNOISE values? I looked briefly at the code but could not tell. Thanks. - Joan