[daip] [!6531]: AIPS - SAD: spurious sources

NRAO Helpdesk do-not-reply at nrao.edu
Thu Jun 18 13:25:50 EDT 2015

Eric Greisen updated #6531
--------------------------

       Staff (Owner): Eric Greisen (was: -- Unassigned --)

SAD: spurious sources
---------------------

           Ticket ID: 6531

Can you re-run SAD with PRTLEV=1023?  This will produce debug
output about the rejected components.  When one fits something
non-Gaussian over a small region, it is possible for the fitter to find
a source outside the small region which has a tail into the region that
looks like the data.  This rejection criterion says to reject a "source"
whose peak lies outside the Island - and needless to say, such peaks
can have almost any brightness.  I see no reason why the "source"
would be accepted once and rejected the other time since I see no reason
why the islands should be different or the fit different in the 2 cases.

Perhaps the debug display will help...