[daip] AIPS troubleshooting, Data directory undefined

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Jul 30 17:27:28 EDT 2015

On 07/30/2015 02:56 PM, Wen-fai Fong wrote:
> Dear Eric,
>
> I'm trying to run AIPS for the first time on a new account that NRAO
> just created for me, under cfa-pipe-1 @ lustre.
>
> I've set AIPS_ROOT to /home/AIPS and when I start AIPS it gives me this
> message:
>
> START_AIPS: Enter your choice, or the word QUIT [default is 3]:
> START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the Network PostScript printer
> two-sided
> START_AIPS:  - system name aoc213/dup, AIPS type PS
>
> START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
>    (Using COAOARN-specific default file
> /home/AIPS/DA00/DADEVS.LIST.COAOARN for DADEVS.PL <http://DADEVS.PL>)
> DADEVS.PL <http://DADEVS.PL> error - no disks selected at all
> This is a FATAL error and nothing in AIPS will work.
>
> START_AIPS: Cannot start AIPS because there are no defined data areas!
> START_AIPS: (check DADEVS.LIST or .dadevs files, or AIPSASSN.\*)
>

> I've also tried to set the data directory by the following:
> export DATA=/lustre/aoc/cfa-transient/wfong/data
>
> What step am I missing? How do I properly define the data areas?
>
> Sorry for the inconvenience.
>
> Wen-fai Fong

In general, you have to set up data areas and then specify them in a
text file in your $HOME area.  The file is called .dadevs.always (note
the dots before and after dadevs).  The format is fixed in that a + or a
minus comes in column 1, then 2 spaces, then the path to the data area:
  My file looks like

+  /lustre/aoc/users/egreisen/AIPS/LUSTRE_1
-  /lustre/aoc/users/egreisen/AIPS/LUSTRE_2

but of course you must have your own data areas on disks assigned to
cfa-pipe-1.  I do not have privilege to look on that machine so I cannot
help you further.  Perhaps others at CfA could help.