[daip] [!6209]: aips - UVFIT - doesn't inform user about whether or not it has converged (31DEC15)

Michael Bietenholz do-not-reply at nrao.edu
Tue Feb 17 10:18:22 EST 2015

Michael Bietenholz updated #6209
--------------------------------

UVFIT - doesn't inform user about whether or not it has converged (31DEC15)

           Ticket ID: 6209
                 SLA: NRAO E2E
      Template Group: Default
             Created: 17 February 2015 03:18 PM
             Updated: 17 February 2015 03:18 PM
                 Due: 19 February 2015 03:18 PM (2d 0h 0m)
      Resolution Due: 26 February 2015 03:18 PM (9d 0h 0m)

I notice two issues with UVFIT (31DEC15, MNJ today, but 31DEC14 has same issues)

1) It does not inform the user whether it has converged or whether it has hit NITER (max number of iterations).  The user should be alerted to the latter case, since the resulting fit may not be good.  At present, it just prints out the model at that stage, but there is no indication on whether it has converged (according to EDROP) or just hit NITER.

I tried it with NITER=2, got a Chi2, model etc; when rerunning with NITER=200, one gets a different Chi2,model, so presumably the NITER=2 run did not converge, but UVFIT doesn't alert you to this fact.

2)  I get these errors (both INLIST and FITOUT are blank).  There is a slight possibility this is due to running on a non-supported
OS: Ubuntu 12.04.  Other than the messages, UVFIT seems to run okay

UVFIT1 17:05:30 ZTXOP2: using translated file name =
UVFIT1 17:05:30 ZTXOP2:
UVFIT1 17:05:30 ZTXOP2: FORTRAN OPEN ERROR =     30
UVFIT1 17:05:30 ZERROR: ON FILE
UVFIT1 17:05:30 ZERROR: IN ZTXOP2 ERRNO = 30 (Read-only file system)