[daip] [!6482]: aips - AIPS X11 socket errors in Mac OS 10.10.3 (Yosemite)

Joshua Malone do-not-reply at nrao.edu
Fri Apr 17 14:55:15 EDT 2015

Joshua Malone updated #6482
---------------------------

AIPS X11 socket errors in Mac OS 10.10.3 (Yosemite)

           Ticket ID: 6482
                 SLA: NRAO E2E
      Template Group: Default
             Created: 17 April 2015 06:55 PM
             Updated: 17 April 2015 06:55 PM
                 Due: 21 April 2015 06:55 PM (4d 0h 0m)
      Resolution Due: 27 April 2015 06:55 PM (10d 0h 0m)

(Hi. This is Josh Malone, the Mac sysadmin from Charlottesville.)

There appears to be something major wrong with either how AIPS handles the X11 socket on Yosemite or how I'm installing AIPS. I've reproduced this on a clean machine that's never had AIPS on it before. Problem also occurs on Jim Condon's laptop that just got upgraded to Yosemite. For all I can tell, the Yosemite upgrade will break all Mac AIPS installations (at least, in Charlottesville).

I have attached output from a startup of AIPS. It appears that the X11 launchd socket is confusing the AIPS startup. The line

START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called /private/tmp/com.apple.launchd.44zUrudFmN/org.macosforge.xquartz

is referring to the xquartz launchd socket on Yosemite. This has moved from the previous location under 10.7 (and probably 10.8)

# 10.7
kwaltz:~ powermac$ echo $DISPLAY
/tmp/launch-JJUnoM/org.x:0

# 10.10
infinity:~ powermac$ echo $DISPLAY
/private/tmp/com.apple.launchd.44zUrudFmN/org.macosforge.xquartz:0

Is this a known issue? Is there a workaround? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

-Josh Malone