[daip] Spillover and opacity corrections.

Craig Walker cwalker at nrao.edu
Fri Sep 26 18:55:29 EDT 2014

In trying to understand the zero opacity results for my C band data, I
have noted that the spillover correction used in APCAL is probably not
correct at lower frequencies.  The numbers in APCAL.FOR, subroutine
SPILL are those we use at 7mm in PTANAL, the pointing analysis program.
They are not what we use at lower frequencies.  This is of some
importance because all of the gains distributed for the VLBA are for
opacity corrected data.

The simplest way to explain what is done in PTANAL, and what would
likely be better for APCAL, is to show the subroutine from PTANAL that
does it.  It has the data statements, and the code that selects which to
use, and lots of comments about why it is doing things.  It is attached.
  Note that, for example, the 13cm spillover is very far from what it is
at other bands because of the dichroic plate.

With the higher spillover curve (the 7mm curve), the variation of Ts
with elevation in my C band data was entirely accounted for with
spillover and the fitted opacity was zero in many cases.  That is not
correct as the atmosphere has a bit of opacity everywhere.  See B
Butler's VLA Test Memo 232 for more about this sort of thing.  He also
found that the VLBA 7mm spillover curve did not give good results at
lower bands.

Somewhat separate issue, but also with the opacity fits:

Something disturbing happened in the fits to my 6cm test data for the KP
site.  The output from APCAL for that site is:

APCAL1: KP       RCP 0/ 0h 0m Trec (K):    28.73 Zen. opac.:  0.003
APCAL1: KP       LCP 0/ 0h 0m Trec (K):    24.96 Zen. opac.:  0.000

and the plot of the fits is in the attached postscript file.  As can be
seen, the fit lines don't match the data at all.  For R, the fit line is
above all of the points while for L it is below.  It's not because it is
fitting a common curve because the R tsys values, let alone the model,
are above the L values.

APCAL was run within VLBACALA using the following commands on noatak:
default vlbacala
   inn='TA035A_VLBA'; incl='MULTI'; ins=1; ind=3
   dofit 1
vlbacala

Disk 3 is /home/noatak2/AIPS/DA01

Cheers,

Craig

     R. Craig Walker            Array Operations Center
     cwalker at nrao.edu           National Radio Astronomy Observatory
     Phone  575 835 7247        P. O. Box O
     Fax    575 835 7027        Socorro NM 87801   USA