[daip] 31AIPS14 - Problems ALTREFVAL = -Infinity

Hans-Rainer Kloeckner hrk at astro.ox.ac.uk
Sat Sep 13 06:05:22 EDT 2014

Dear Aips support, dear Erik,

	I have just updated my current AIPS version to the
latest one and run into following problem.

After calibration I wrote out the UV-FIts file and after some other steps
I load the data back into AIPS.

FITLD1: Task FITLD  (release of 31DEC14) begins
FITLD1: PARSCD: NUMBER ERROR ON ALTRVAL
FITLD1: ERROR      1 RETURNED FROM UVFHDR
FITLD1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
FITLD1: localhost    31DEC14 TST: Cpu=       0.0  Real=       0
Traceback (most recent call last):

Now if I look into the header of fits file

ALTRVAL =  -Infinity           /Altenate FREQ/VEL ref value

Now trying to change the value via pyfits  results into an error
Card 'ALTRVAL' is not FITS standard (invalid value string: -Infinity

If have changed the value with a normal editor (vi) to 0, this helped to circumvent that problem,
to load the data int AIPS again.

I have two questions:

	setting the ALTRVAL = 0 would that cause any problem?

	Would it be possible to add instead of -Infinity  maybe 0 or another value that will switch off the use of ALTRVAL?

Any advice is highly appreciated, thanks in advance and greetings from Bonn

Hans

Hans-Rainer Kloeckner
Max-Planck-Institut fuer Radioastronomie
Auf dem Huegel 69
53121 Bonn
Germany
+49 (0)228 525-314